Mitchell, C. & Suchy, D. (2012). Developing Mobile Access to Digital Collections. DLib. January/February, 2012. http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january12/mitchell/01mitchell.html
Case studies/interviews with representatives from Duke University Libraries, Montana State University Libraries, North Carolina State University Libraries, Smithsonian Institution.
Appropriate approach for development
- Identify intended audience and their needs.
- Create concrete mobile use cases and compare these to desktop use cases
- Conduct internal assessment of available resources and limitations
- Casual institutional users and visitors
- Smithsonian did include some some mobile services for scholars
- Learn about collection: search, explore, save, download
- Patron needs quick access not extended research access
- Keep project on timeline and reasonable budget
- Deliver media optimized for the access method